MAGIC and PROJECT, our version of New York’s Fashion Week, descended upon Las Vegas the week of Feb. 15. Vegas Seven contributor Geraldine Campbell hit the floor to scout out this year’s hottest trends and give us the goods before they hit stores.
MAGIC/PROJECT 2010 Fashion Notebook
- Boyfriend shirts are still in—FCUK loves pairing them with sexy dresses—but boyfriend jeans are definitely out.
- This year’s must-have pant is the “jegging”—that’s short for “jean legging.” Think super skinny jeans with lots of stretch, or leggings fashioned from the softest denim. Newbie Denimocracy (denimocracyusa.com) showed versions of the jegging in every wash, from dark rinse to tie-dye, faded to brilliant blue.
- Military styles were everywhere at MAGIC and PROJECT, from rugged-looking coats to delicate silk dresses with epaulets. Military greens, khaki and camouflage will continue to make a strong showing this coming season.
- A range of romantic, girly and very pretty things are also out in full force: Silk shirts, dresses and skirts rule several collections, all with lots of ruffles, rosettes and lace.
- Velvet is poised to make a comeback in daywear, yet the biggest trend seems to be strong shoulders. This look—a modern take on the ’80s power suit—is showing up in broad, boxy jackets as well as more tailored, triangle-shaped pieces.
- Over-the-knee boots are still in, but booties made a strong showing at MAGIC as well. For fall bags, bigger and blingier is better, apparently. Nicole Lee hobos are all about the embellishments, with studs, rhinestones and zippers galore.