No American Pie jokes, please: This sweet-heat treat is all about patriotism, independence and the ol’ red, white and blue—with an emphasis on the red.
“Nothing is more American than apple pie,” says Richards, who created the cocktail for a fall menu two years ago. Back by popular demand and just in time for the Fourth of July, Richards says the Tabasco and apple pie flavors combine to provide “a yummy [and drinkable] twist” on an all-American favorite.
“The spices of the Captain Morgan rum meld nicely with the cinnamon on the rim and the spices in the mixer, which complements the apple beautifully,” she says. The experience finishes “with a slight kick of spice to keep you guessing, contemplating and coming back for more.” And so we did.
- 1½ ounces Captain Morgan spiced rum
- ½ ounce Granny’s sour apple schnapps
- 2 ounces Stirrings spiced apple mixer
- ½ ounce sweet and sour mix
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- Cinnamon sugar for rim (¾ sugar, ¼ ground cinnamon)
- Maraschino cherry and fresh apple slices for garnish
Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice, and shake hard. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass rimmed with cinnamon sugar, garnish with a maraschino cherry and apple slices and serve.