- Best Place to Relive the Mob Days: Soon the Las Vegas Museum of Organized Crime and Law Enforcement will open. The “Mob Museum” will cover the entire story of the mob warts and all, and that’s great because many of the older properties where there was a [Mafia] presence have been imploded. Until the museum opens, my favorite place to relive those memories is in my backyard.
- Best Vegas Martini Bar: My home. You have to have ice-cold Bombay Sapphire and a chilled glass with ice and two anchovy-stuffed olives on the side so that they don’t take up valuable gin space in the glass. It gets no better than that, especially when my wife, Carolyn, is imbibing with me.
- Best Face of Las Vegas That’s Not My Own: Wayne Newton. I’m the happiest mayor in the universe, but he is Mr. Las Vegas.
- Best Vegas Moment: It’s a tie between being elected the mayor three times by my beloved people of Las Vegas, and being able to watch the Cleveland Clinic Lou Ruvo Brain Institute and Smith Center for the Performing Arts rise out of the desert at Symphony Park.
- Best Vegas Landmark: The Stratosphere, because I can use it to help a cab driver find my house, no matter what my condition.
- Best Vegas Sports Betting Moment: I love to bet on which direction a cockroach will run. My largest bet on the cockroach was $1,000, and I lost!
- Best Vegas Myth: That there was a mob.
Best of the City 2017
Our eighth annual celebration of all things Las Vegas, from the best casino comebacks to irresistible pot products