1. As weeks go, May 14-22 is looking pretty strong. Celebrate the inaugural citywide Nevada Beer Week with more than 30 events in honor of our brewers’ best. Held during the fifth American Craft Beer Week Celebration, the lineup kicks off with the fifth annual Lee’s Beer Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton and concludes with a jazz brunch at Gordon Biersch with keg tappings and brewery tours in between. The Nevada Brewer’s Guild has amassed a calendar at NevadaBeerWeek.com.com.
2. Another way to support your local breweries—drink more local beer! Morels French Steakhouse & Bistro in the Palazzo presents a Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. dinner at 7:30 p.m. May 29, a four-courser spotlighting the food-friendly Kellerweis Hefeweizen, Torpedo Extra IPA, stout and porter. $65 per person, 607-6333.
3. Also at the Palazzo, Emeril Lagasse’s Table 10 has just released its spring cocktail menu of 13 new drinks created by mixologist Max Solano, including the new signature cocktail, Hang “10,” which features Smirnoff Strawberry vodka, strawberry marmalade, POM pomegranate juice, fresh lime juice and brut sparkling wine for $15. Three award-winning cocktails also make their debuts, including the Genevrier Verte, South Beach Sling and Eau de Perfection. Emerils.com.
4. “Don’t drink to get drunk. Drink to enjoy life.” – Jack Kerouac. If you liked that one, there’s plenty more to be found in The Quotable Drunkard: Words of Wit, Wisdom and Philosophy from the Bottom of the Glass ($12, Adams Media, 2011) by Steven Kates, now available in paperback.
5. Cocktail enthusiasts, start your engines! Tickets are now on sale for all manner of panel, party and demo at both the Manhattan Cocktail Classic (May 13-17, ManhattanCocktailClassic.com) held in—you guessed it—Manhattan, and Tales of the Cocktail New Orleans (July 20-24, TalesOfTheCocktail.com) in the Big Easy. Costume preparations should begin immediately for Tales’ annual Spirited Awards ceremony, to be fashioned this year after HBO’s sensational mid-Prohibition drama, Boardwalk Empire.
6. Comme Ça has joined the rest of the Cosmopolitan gang in offering an alfresco event capitalizing on its incredible view. Hence, View Thursdays throws a party on the patio at 10 p.m. every Thursday. Under a canopy of red light, guests can partake in drink specials from Comme Ça’s 18A bar program (a playful nod to the 18th Amendment, which ushered in Prohibition) by renowned mixologist Sam Ross along with specialty Grand Marnier cocktails. CommeCaRestaurant.com/las-vegas.
7. And finally, should you find yourself anywhere within a bottle cap’s throw of the pool at the MGM Grand this weekend, beat the heat with a menu of CSI-inspired cocktails, available noon–3 p.m. Friday and Saturday.