The match-up would have been a dream bout a couple years ago, but Monday’s news that Fedor Emelianenko would finally be joining the UFC and possibly be fighting Anderson Silva was too good for even the present tense.
Strikeforce officials told MMAjunkie.com Monday that a story posted on its own website proclaiming the superfight was the result of hackers (or possibly disgruntled former Strikeforce employees who were let go when UFC-parent company Zuffa purchased the San Jose-based promotion earlier in the year).
Here’s a transcript of the faux report:
A dream super-fight is now a reality.
Fedor Emelianenko, who is now walking around at 215lbs, will be moving over to the UFC brand after his July 30th bout with Dan Henderson. Emelianenko’s first fight will be none other than UFC Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva.
The fight will take place sometime after UFC 134, which is headlined by Anderson Silva as he takes on Yushin Okami. Emelianenko vs Silva will likely take place at 205lbs. However, Fedor Emelianenko will be undergoing a test-cut after his fight with Dan Henderson. His management has agreed that if he can make the cut to 185lbs without much trouble and if Anderson Silva defeats Yushin Okami, then Fedor Emelianenko vs Anderson Silva will be contested at 185lbs and will be for the UFC Middleweight Championship.
Georges St. Pierre may also be in the mix if he is able to defeat UFC 137 opponent, Nick Diaz. If St. Pierre decides to move up to middleweight, he will be fighting the winner of Anderson Silva and Fedor Emelianenko.
Emelianenko, who until suffering recent back-to-back losses was one of MMA’s pound-for-pound kings, is still scheduled to face Henderson in the July 29 “Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Henderson” event at Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Ill.
There’s only one Ricky Hatton
Last week popular English boxer Ricky Hatton announced his retirement.
The former junior welterweight world champ and former welterweight titleholder finished his career with a 45-2 record with 32 KOs and setbacks to only Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.
The 32-year-old Hatton, known affectionately as “The Hitman” to his large contingent of British fans, had not fought since suffering a second-round knockout to Pacquiao in May 2009 in Las Vegas. After the devastating loss, Hatton struggled outside the ring as he battled bouts with alcohol and depression.
“After a lot of soul searching over the last couple of years I have finally decided to confirm I will never box again and there will be no coming back,” Hatton said. “There have been so many times since the Manny Pacquiao fight when I have woken up and thought I would give it one more go, but it was not to be.
“There have been amazing highs, and although I always wanted to be a world champion, I went beyond my wildest dreams.”
One of those dreams had to be his match-up with Mayweather in Las Vegas in December of 2007, when Hatton and 35,000 of his closest friends from Manchester invaded the MGM Grand.
Despite a knockout loss to Mayweather in the 10th round, Hatton again filled the same MGM arena for his last two fights — retaining his IBO and The Ring light welterweight titles in a TKO victory over Paulie Malignaggi and then suffering the devastating defeat to Pacquiao.
Kim Couture’s latest viral video
The ex-wife of UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture suffered another loss that ended up making the viral video rounds, when she was choked unconscious Friday night in a loss to Sheila Bird in Calgary’s AX Combat event.
Bird’s scissor choke wasn’t so much the problem as the referee’s delayed decision to stop the bout after Couture’s limbs went limp several seconds before he pulled Bird off her.
“I didn’t have a problem with it,” Couture said. “I’d rather have it go a little bit too long than an early stoppage, so I didn’t have a problem.”
Couture — who was experiencing problems even before the bout as she had been indefinitely suspended from the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board — said she hopes to get medical clearance in time to participate in a kickboxing match at the Hard Rock casino on July 30.