Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s return to the ring after a 16-month layoff is now just a month away, but the champion boxer continues to make headlines outside of it. On Wednesday The Associated Press obtained a civil lawsuit filed by a pair of men who claim Mayweather orchestrated a shooting attack against them two years ago outside a Las Vegas skating rink.
The lawsuit accuses Mayweather, his bodyguard Ocie Harris, and others of making threats against Quincey Williams and Damien Bland since the incident, which they say left them with psychological injuries. They are requesting an unspecified amount of money in damages.
Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, told the AP Mayweather had nothing to do with the shooting or any of the alleged acts since.
“As in most civil cases this is just another attempt to extort money,” he said. “An educated observer would examine the background of these individuals and immediately question their credibility.”
However, this isn’t Mayweather’s first time in the courtroom either, as the undefeated boxer — who fights Victor Ortiz for the WBC welterweight title on Sept. 17 at the MGM Grand Garden — has had a handful of lawsuits filed against him in the past two years.
Late last month a Nevada judge dismissed a lawsuit filed by a nightclub bouncer alleging the six-time champ and his entourage became violent after they were removed from a Las Vegas hotspot.
On Aug. 5 welterweight champion boxer Manny Pacquiao and his legal team filed a motion for default and dismissal in their defamation lawsuit against Mayweather Jr. — which accuses him of making repeated statements that the Filipino fighter used performance-enhancing substances.
They are seeking a default judgment because Mayweather has repeatedly refused to appear during any of the two dozen dates that he’s been sought for deposition.
“Mayweather is not above the law,” Pacquiao’s representative, Daniel Petrocelli told the AP. “He’s essentially forfeited his right for a defense” by not appearing at the depositions.
Mayweather has said he needed to focus on his fight against Ortiz and the promotion tour leading up to the bout. However, several photographs included in the motion show Mayweather at parties in Atlanta and Las Vegas during the same time periods.
Mayweather is also facing felony charges for a domestic argument with the mother of two of his children, and misdemeanor harassment and battery charges for allegedly attacking security personnel at the lavish gated community Mayweather lives in.
He has a scheduled Oct. 20 court date for the felony charges. If Mayweather is convicted on all counts, he could face up to 34 years in prison.
According to police, Mayweather argued with Williams on Aug. 23, 2009 (which reportedly stemmed from a previous text message that Williams — who used to work for Mayweather — sent hoping Mayweather would lose his fight against Juan Manuel Marquez) inside the Crystal Palace Skating Center.
Authorities have never accused Mayweather of firing shots nor criminally charged him in the case. Harris, who witnesses told police fired at least five shots at a BMW sedan, has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges in the shooting and his trial is scheduled for February.