Las Vegas is a tough sell on the holidays. Some come, but most of the Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa crowd would rather spend the holidays at home with family than have a December blowout in Sin City. Go figure. For those of us who live here, though, it’s a different story. We can stay at home and take advantage of the good deals the casinos throw our way. Here are a few of them:
• The biggest promo comes from Station Casinos by way of its $1.5 Million Holiday Cash Giveaway. Drawings are at 8:15 p.m. daily from Dec. 23 to Jan. 1 for 10 $1,000 winners at every Station and Fiesta property. You can get 10 drawing tickets every day simply by swiping your Boarding Pass card and earn unlimited extra tickets playing the games (approximately $17 played through a machine earns one ticket). You don’t have to be there to win, but there’s a $500 bonus if you are.
• South Point is again running its all-drinks-for-$2 deal through the 24th (all drinks, good deal!). Get a discount ranging from 15 to 25 percent (depending on your club level) on Holiday Liquor Gift Packs at Orleans, Suncoast and Sam’s Town. There’s still time to get in on the tail end of Todd English P.U.B.’s 12 Beers of Christmas promo, in which a different beer is available every day for $1 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m through Dec. 25. For pure tradition, go to Ellis Island for holiday eggnog. This is the ninth straight year the nog has been mixed and sold from the bar at the casino. Yes, it contains alcohol—and it has a kick. The price is $6 per glass and $29.99 per bottle.
• Rivaling the Venetian’s winterscape is the Bellagio Conservatory & Botanical Gardens’ Winter Wonderland exhibit, with 43,000 flowers, 350 shrubs, a 42-foot-tall white fir tree and animated penguins. If you’re just driving by on the Strip, listen for three new songs in the fountain show. The Beatles’ “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,” Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” and Glen Miller’s ‘40s hit “In the Mood” are the first to be added in six years.
• From Dec. 23-29, you can vote for the winner of the House of Blues’ Joyful Noise singing contest. Visit JoyfulGospelSearch.ning.com to judge the a cappella-only efforts of contestants vying to sing at HoB’s Gospel Brunch.
• Gamblers should watch the newspapers (and their mail) for random promotions like multiple-points days, which tend to show up between Christmas and Jan. 2.