1. The Fernet tap has landed! Fernet Branca fans, head to Herbs & Rye for a nearly unending stream of the popular Italian amaro when a dual-tap system is installed next week, dispensing both chilled Fernet Branca and Carpano Antica Formula sweet vermouth. Another elaborate setup is said to appear elsewhere this spring. HerbsAndRye.com.
2. Just launched this month in Las Vegas, the World Wide Watering Holes App for iPhone (other formats coming in April) allows the committed barfly to see where his or her favorite brands are being served citywide, and pre-pay just 99 cents for their first drink via a digital receipt. It’s free for the app download and free for venues to sign up. A win-win! WorldwideWateringHoles.com.
3. The tradition of supplementing British Navy pay with daily rations of rum ended on July 31, 1970, causing a number of soleras to be retired and remain unopened for 40 years. Now a limited-edition release for serious connoisseurs, one bottle of Black Tot “Last Consignment” British Royal Naval Rum has been added to the carefully curated rum collection at Frankie’s Tiki Room, where it will only be sold in its entirety for $2,000. “Our version of bottle service,” says Frankie’s owner P Moss. A high-end curiosity, “it’s gonna make a couple of people very happy.” BlackTot.com.
4. First Friday has teamed up with Back Bar USA to create spirited new drinking destinations for attendees, including the outdoor Third Street Wine Studio, Casino Center Beer Garden with DJs and bands, and the Fourth Street Mixology Bar, featuring Patrón tequila, Tito’s vodka, Skyy and Jim Beam brands. FirstFridayLasVegas.com.
5. SmashBurger is getting in on the throwback comeback, offering $1 cans of Olympia, Hamm’s and Pabst Blue Ribbon beer with a menu purchase. SmashBurger.com.
6. Owner of the highest-grossing Fatburger franchise, Darin Feinstein (also owner of Crown and the King’s Room at the Rio) has embarked on Phase 2 of a $4 million Strip location overhaul, adding the tented, 150-seat Fat Bar entertainment zone for a mid-April debut with full bar, misters and large-format drinks. Fatburger.com.
7. Love basketball? So does the Cosmopolitan! Catch all of the madness at the Cosmo’s Hoops & Hops event, March 15-18, featuring multiple big-screen plasma televisions for viewing the games, two sports-betting stations, open bar and a-la-carte stadium-style food for $50 each day. CosmopolitanLasVegas.com.