Former Strikeforce champion and top UFC heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem failed a random pre-fight drug test for his UFC 146 bout against Junior Dos Santos and is now in jeopardy of losing his title shot for the Memorial Day Weekend card in Las Vegas.
Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer released a statement Wednesday that the 31-year-old Overeem’s testosterone to epitestosterone (T/E) levels were greater than 10-to-1, exceeding the allowable 6-to-1 limit after a random test was administered March 27 to the top six headliners after a press conference for UFC 146.
“Mr. Overeem will need to appear before the Commission if he seeks licensure,” Kizer said in a released statement.
The news didn’t set well with UFC boss Dana White, who expressed his frustration with Overeem, who also had testing issues with the NSAC prior to his UFC debut against Brock Lesnar in December because he was out of the country in Holland tending to his ill mother.
“I am beyond, beyond pissed about this,” White said on a previously arranged conference call with Canadian media on Wednesday. “He looked at me in the face and swore he would pass the drug test.”
“It’s beyond comprehension. If you’re a fighter who knows you’re going to be tested and you do something to fail, you’re an absolute moron, a brain-dead absolute fucking dummy. It goes beyond a guy having any common sense whatsoever.”
While Overeem’s “A” sample was flagged for the elevated levels, the heavyweight has the right to request the test’s “B” sample be checked. If negative, Overeem would still be eligible for a license.
If Overeem is out, either Mir or Velasquez, who are scheduled to face off in a No. 1 contender bout, could step up and face Dos Santos for the belt.
All five of the other heavyweights who were tested — Dos Santos, Frank Mir, Cain Velasquez, Roy Nelson and Antonio Silva — passed the random tests.