For years I’ve picked and published the “Las Vegas’ Top Ten Values” at LasVegasAdvisor.com, but that list is tailored for visitors. The list that follows is different in that it’s been tweaked for locals. While this list doesn’t constitute the absolute best deals in town, the following “Seven for Seven” is a potent mix of drinking, dining, entertainment and gambling that won’t disappoint.
7. Summer Social Hour: SMITH & WOLLENSKY. On weekdays from 2 to 7 p.m., get a 2-for-1 lunch at the bar. Big burgers, barbecued shrimp, crab cakes and more average about $8 per on this offer. The parking lot in the back eliminates the usual inconvenience of going to a Strip restaurant.
6. Slots Freeroll: Tropicana. Play slots or video poker. Win and keep the loot. Lose up to $200 and get it back. With the recent demise of the Riviera’s $1,000 rebate, this is the best gambling deal in town. The rebate is disbursed in two installments, and you must be a new players-club member to participate.
5. Show deal: Mac King at Harrah’s. If there’s one can’t-miss show in Vegas, it’s the Mac King Comedy Magic Show at Harrah’s. The rack rate is $42.95, but the play is to find the hand-out ticket that gets you in for $9.95 and includes a drink. Try the Total Rewards window or the concierge, or just ask where to get them at the show booth.
4. Oysters: P.J. Clarke’s. There are several oyster specials around town, but none matches the deal at P.J. Clarke’s in the Forum Shops at Caesars. From 2:45 to 6 p.m. seven days a week, freshly shucked oysters on the half shell are $1 apiece. Eat your fill and chase with $3 draft beer.
3. Ham & Eggs: Irene’s. Remember the old-style ham and eggs breakfasts where the ham covered the plate? That’s what you get 24/7 for $7.95 at Irene’s on West Spring Mountain Road. In fact, the ham here is so big it requires its own plate. Go on a Sunday and complement your breakfast with $1 spicy Bloody Marys.
2. Dollar Drinks: Casino Royale. You don’t have to wait for Sundays to get drinks for a buck at Casino Royale. The main bar serves cold Michelob in the bottle all day every day for $1. Frozen margaritas are also a buck, and a Coors Light draft is 75 cents.
1. Steak Dinner: Ellis Island. This one’s not new, but it’s still the best deal in town. The $7.95 Ellis Island steak dinner served 24/7 in the Café consists of a filet-cut sirloin, soup or salad, potato, vegetable and an EI home-brewed beer. If there are two of you, you’ll get a $5 matchplay for a table game, the value of which mathematically chops the price of the steak to $6.73. Only in Vegas!
Follow Anthony Curtis via RSS.