The Best of Silver State Awards for restaurants and nightclubs were held December 14 in the Sands Showroom at the Venetian. The event was co-hosted by radio personality Dayna Roselli, TV news anchor Nina Radetich and the ubiquitous Robin Leach, a man making more local appearances than the morning sun.
Kerry Simon, who is battling an advanced form of Parkinson’s called MSA, received the Visionary Award as well as a standing ovation from the attendees. It was an emotional moment for the chef, who told the audience, “Vegas is amazing, this is amazing,” while seated in a wheelchair.
The awards seemed anticlimactic after that, except, perhaps, to the winners. Elizabeth Blau and her team made a clean sweep of their nominations, winning for Restaurateur of the Year (Blau) and New Restaurant of the Year (Honey Salt). Hakkasan won for the best Nightclub/Lounge Design, while Wynn won for Best Sunday Brunch at the Country Club Grill, Best Buffet, Best Interior Restaurant Design at Andrea’s and Best Nightclub, XS, four awards in all.
Best Service went to perennial winner Picasso, and its chef, Julian Serrano, was also honored, winning Best Chef. Chada Thai & Wine’s Bank Atcharawan received the Rising Chef award, and seemed surprised, thanking mentors Bill and Saipin Chutima of Lotus of Siam modestly.
Other winners included Cut for Best Fine Dining Restaurant, Vintner Grill for Best Neighborhood Restaurant, Eat for Best Casual Restaurant, and Five50 in the Aria for Best New Casual Restaurant, and presenters included Emeril Lagasse and Vegas Seven senior editor Xania Woodman.
The complete list of winners follows (also at Facebook.com/SilverAwards):
- Best New Restaurant, Fine Dining: Honey Salt
- Best Restaurant, Fine Dining: Cut
- Best Neighborhood Restaurant: Vintner Grill
- Best Chef: Julian Serrano
- Best Bar/Tavern: Commonwealth
- Best Buffet: Wynn
- Best Interior Design, Restaurant: Andrea’s
- Best Nightclub: XS
- Best Restaurateur: Elizabeth Blau
- Best New Restaurant, Casual Dining: Five 50
- Best Restaurant, Casual Dining: Eat
- Rising Star Chef: Bank Atcharawan
- Best Restaurant Wine/Spirits Selection: Aureole
- Best Happy Hour: Blue Martini
- Best Sunday Brunch: Wynn Country Club
- Best Interior Design, Bar/Nightclub: Hakkasan
- Best Service, Restaurant: Picasso
- The Leadership Award: Emeril Lagasse
- The Pioneer Award: Sirio Maccioni
- The Visionary Award: Kerry Simon