As is common in the spring, several new specials have sprung up around town.
Actually, one of the best isn’t all that new, but with $11 and $12 hamburgers becoming the norm, El Cortez’s half-pound burger and a 12-ounce beer for $5 is a deal that deserves its due. These burgers, served in Café Cortez, are just like the ones everyone crows about at Binion’s snack bar, only a little bigger, and you get a bag of chips on the side. The deal is available around the clock.
• If you want prime rib for a buck less, drive north on Las Vegas Boulevard. From 11 a.m. to close on Fridays and Saturdays, the Silver Nugget has a prime rib special, served with mashed potatoes, corn and a roll, for $3.99 in the Hometown Kitchen coffee shop. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen one this low, and it’s not bad. If you want to carry in a beer, Bud in the bottle is just $2 at the main bar.
• Here’s a pretty potent lobster play. The Hard Rock Hotel is still running its $17.95 whole lobster special on Fridays in Mr. Lucky’s, but you can get a similar dinner on Wednesdays at Miller’s Ale House in Town Square for $16.95. Better yet, take a chance at Miller’s on Thursdays when—if lobsters are left over—the same dinner is just $12.95 till they’re gone. I’m 1-for-2 on the Thursday play, but even if they’re gone, there’s a decent $12.95 prime rib special to fall back on.
• Looking for a good way to spend a buck? All South Point casino bars have $1 Bloody Marys and mimosas daily from 6 a.m. to noon throughout April. Longhorn on Boulder Highway has $1 Miller Lite 24/7. And keep your eyes open for drinking deals all day on April 7, National Beer Day, including 20-ounce Ellis Island microbrews for $1 and 2-for-1 beers in Rockhouse at Palazzo.
• The Mob Bar at the Downtown Grand is running a comedy club on Friday and Saturday nights with a two-drink minimum. Given the ever-rising price of show tickets, this is a welcome addition Downtown.
• This month’s video-poker deal at Home Plate bar on Blue Diamond Road is a pizza-buffet comp from 3 to 6 a.m. daily. Buy in for any amount on a bar game and eat up. And if you hang around for a while, you can play in a race to set the card of the day. The first four-of-a-kind that’s hit after 8 a.m. becomes that day’s card, and you get a $50 bonus for your trouble. I love these creative bar deals!
Anthony Curtis is the publisher of the Las Vegas Advisor and LasVegasAdvisor.com.